During these unprecedented times, many of us are working from home for the first time daily. And we have our families around making it more challenging as we try to be both be safe and honor our commitments to our jobs and businesses. While we focus on our health, we’re also trying to do our best to maintain financial security for ourselves and our family.
25 years ago, I left the corporate world and have been involved in numerous businesses since, requiring me to work from home. I wanted to share a few of my key learnings to help you effectively discipline yourself in this new working environment so you can take care of the needs of both your family and your career.
1) Dress for work. Dress as though you are going into the office.
2) Have a dedicated place to work. When you are there, let your family know it’s the same as if you were at the office.
3) Do the same in reverse. When you leave that dedicated place to work, dedicate your time to your family. Give them all of you once you leave that place of work in your home.
4) Take breaks just as you would at work. For lunch, leave your place of work in your home and join your family for lunch.
5) Try and keep your regular schedule as if you were going into the office. It will help you create as much normalcy as possible.
I hope these tips help. It’s hard to know how to navigate through times like this. Please be kind to yourself and others as we try and figure all of this out together.